The 16 rules to avoid being fooled by counterfeit/copies products
Aimpoint urges consumers to be aware of the existence of counterfeit Aimpoint® products.
Counterfeits have become particularly common on Internet auction sites. These bogus products are often cosmetically attractive making it difficult for the average person to readily identify them as low-quality fakes with inferior technology.
Even the registered trademark on the products is copied and makes it difficult to identify as genuine or fake.
How can you protect yourself from being a victim of counterfeiters? Here are some questions you should ask as you prepare to purchase genuine Aimpoint products:
1. Am I purchasing from an authorized Aimpoint dealer? If the answer is "no," your chances of purchasing counterfeits increase greatly. Your best protection against counterfeits is to purchase only from an authorized Aimpoint dealer.
2. Many consumers who have purchased counterfeit products have been victimized by Internet auction sellers. Buy only from authorized Aimpoint dealers. Aimpoint products offered at attractive prices on web sites from originating from China and Hong Kong are counterfeit.
3. Is the Aimpoint product sold without the original package and without the original user manual? If the answer is “yes”, your chances of purchasing counterfeits is greatly increased.
4. Is the price for the Aimpoint product too good to be true? If the deal looks too good to be true, it probably is and you should be extremely wary.
5. Does the seller explain his willingness to part with the product at a bargain-basement price by claiming that he "won the product” in a tournament or raffle, or that they were "a gift” that he doesn’t need? Sellers of counterfeit Aimpoint products on the Internet often use these and other reasons to deceive their victims.
6. Does the product have a serial number and article number engraved on the side (for sights) or base (for 3X magnifiers)? If the answer is "no," this sight is a counterfeit. If the answer is "yes," but the sight or magnifier is being offered with other warning signs in this bulletin (such as a suspiciously low price), be cautious. Some counterfeiters are putting bogus serial numbers on products. If you have any hesitation, contact your authorized dealer or Aimpoint Customer Service. Remember, merely because a product has a serial number does not mean that it is authentic.
7. Are the flip covers made without the Aimpoint logo molded into the front? If so, it is probably a counterfeit.
8. Battery life is measured in years with authentic Aimpoint products. If the battery in your sight only lasts for a few hours or days the sight is most certainly a counterfeit.
9. If the Aimpoint sight does not maintain zero, the sight is most certainly a counterfeit.
10. If the Aimpoint product does not withstand drop tests or excessive shocks, the product is most certainly a counterfeit.
11. If the Aimpoint product does not withstand recoil from use on firearms, the product is most certainly a counterfeit.
12. Non-standard batteries. Counterfeit products often come equipped with low quality Asian batteries, or require more than one battery to operate.
13. Have the sight been inspected by an authorized Aimpoint dealer, or compared to authentic Aimpoint products in a side-by-side comparison? If you have access to the product before purchase, don’t fail to do this. Most counterfeits become obvious in a side-by-side comparison.
14. If you have any doubt about the authenticity of an Aimpoint product, do not purchase! Contact Aimpoint Customer Service for assistance additional information regarding authorized Dealers.
15. If your sight has a dot that is any colour other than red, or has any reticule other than a single red dot, it is a counterfeit. Beware of any sight that has a green colour dot, or the ability to change reticules.
16. If the intensity adjustment knob on your sight does not have distinct clicks between each power setting, it is a counterfeit.
Did you know
The Aimpoint LPI, IR Laser Aiming Device is a complement to the passive aiming systems from Aimpoint and can be mounted directly on an Aimpoint red dot sight.